HCD recognizes all levels of governments and stakeholders are facing resource challenges and this guidance seeks to create efficiencies and clarity for all parties in the housing element update process.
While all local governments are still required to complete a housing element update, the Update Guidance is designed to reduce the number and scope of housing element submittals per jurisdiction and to focus resources on providing assistance to jurisdictions to ensure compliance and effectively addressing housing needs.
Housing Element Update Guidance (complete packet) — (Adobe PDF)
- Introduction and Overview of Update Guidance and Streamlined Update Template — (Adobe PDF)
- Attachment 1 – Implementation Review – (Microsoft Word) or (Adobe PDF) – PDF is fillable
- Attachment 2 – Housing Element Completeness Checklist – (Microsoft Word) or (Adobe PDF) – PDF is fillable
- Attachment 3 – Housing Element Streamlined Update Template – (Microsoft Word) or (Adobe PDF) – PDF is fillable
- Attachment 4 – Housing Element Review Process and Timeframes — (Adobe PDF)